Thursday, May 1, 2008

Don't Play the Lottery for Me!


A few years ago I read an article by John Piper about the lottery, specifically relating to churches accepting money that comes from gambling. This article made me stop in my tracks when I read it several years ago and challenged me to think about gambling, the desire to be rich, and the hard decisions people and churches have to make when dealing with an issue such as this.

You can read the article here. I highly recommend that you do so. It is short and you can read the whole thing in about one minute.

One of the reasons I began blogging is that I love to share things like this with people I might not see everyday. Here is a snippet to make your soul hungry for a gem of truth.

Christ does not build his church on the backs of the poor. The engine that delivers his righteousness in the world is not driven by the desire to get rich. The gospel of Jesus Christ is not advanced by undermining civic virtue. Let the pastors take their silver and throw it back into the temple of greed.

Read the whole article and let me know what you think.

No comments: