Thursday, March 20, 2008

Black Liberation Theology

Associating with Apostasy: Obama's Troubling Relationship with Black Theology
(HT: Tim Challies)
Again, click on the above link to read everything I would like to say but don't have the skills to. I really enjoyed Obama's speech on Tuesday. I found his message to be inspiring and challenging. The worst parts parts of his speech were the parts where he started mentioning faith and Scripture. I just had an uneasy feeling listening to him talk about the "Christians in the lions den" and how that and similar stories are about hope and freedom.

When Obama talks about his faith, it seems that he is talking about something different than what Scripture teaches. He has been influenced for over 20 years by black liberation theology which is not the gospel. I don't think that a person has to be a Christian to be President of the United States, but often times bad theology is worse than no theology. I am interested to see how Obama's embrace of black liberation theology affects his popularity. One does not have to be a Christian to look at Trinity United Church of Christ's 10-point Vision and know that something is wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That brings up an interesting question: Is there such a thing as "no theology"?

Riley said...

Johnny, again, you are right. Ha, I've sounded like a broken record saying that for the past 10 years. Anyway, it just makes me ill to hear bad theology pretending to be good (Benny Hinn, Jeremiah Wright). Not that my theology is correct all the time, but when a person begins with Scripture and tries to read it for what it is, you he or she can be corrected easily. On the other hand, when a person tries to take their preconceived agenda and force Scripture to conform to that (Wright), that is gross. Know what I mean? Distortion of the gospel is more dangerous than denial of the gospel in my opinion.