Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Barack Obama's Controversial Pastor Puts Church In Hot Water

Watch this video of Obama's pastor that comes from this story about his "endorsement" of Obama from the pulpit. You can also visit the website of the church that Obama has been a member of for I believe over 20 years. The first time I saw the website, I was somewhat disturbed. There are more references to Africa and blackness than the gospel. In the video link above, Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. describes Jesus as a poor black man. Really? This guy is Obama's spiritual mentor?

On a different note, regarding Africa's influence on the church, I was encouraged in my Church History class to learn that many of the most influential church fathers were African. I wonder what the KKK thinks about that.

I think that it is awesome that God has raised up men from many nations and cultures to teach and guide the church. That is the beauty of God. From the beginning, God had a plan to draw people from all languages, tribes, nations, and peoples to worship him forever. Maybe Rev. Jeremiah should follow the example of the many African church fathers who came before him and preach Christocentric sermons, not Afrocentric ones. Maybe all of us should strive to see the church become more Christocentric and not bent towards favoritism of one people over another.

No comments: